A guide to understanding the Michigan Real Estate Continuing Education Requirements
As a condition of renewal, a licensee must complete at least 18 clock hours of CE courses that involve
any subjects that are relevant to the management, operation, and practice of real estate or any other
a subject that contributes to the professional competence of a licensee, and at least 2 of those hours of CE must be completed in each license cycle year that involves law, rules, and court cases regarding real
estate. A licensee must retain evidence acceptable to the Department that demonstrates he or she has
met the CE requirements for at least 4 years after the date of that certification, and must produce that
evidence at the request of the Department.
It is the licensee’s responsibility for documenting the evidence to support the fulfillment of Continuing
Education requirements; the Department does not maintain a record of this information. CE Marketplace, a division of Michigan Realtors, offers a list of approved continuing education courses on their website as well as the ability to electronically track continuing education hours. Please note, there is no cost to licensees to utilize CE Marketplace. Licensees may set up an account at www.cemarketplace.net using their Michigan real estate license number (Permanent ID No.).
Further, you do not need to send proof of CE to the Department unless you are being audited and have been asked to submit the information.
• Renewed your license in 2018 – or –
• Were issued a new license between 7/1/2018 – 10/31/2019 – or –
• Were relicensed between 7/1/2018 – 10/31/2019
Then you need:
• 6 hours (2 hours each year) of CE that involves law, rules & court cases regarding real estate.
• 12 hours of other CE
• For a total of 18 hours of CE prior to renewing your license in 2021.
• Were issued a new license between 11/1/2019 – 10/31/2020 – or –
• Were relicensed between 11/1/2019 – 10/31/2020
Then you need:
• 4 hours (2 hours each year) of CE that involves law, rules & court cases regarding real estate.
• 8 hours of other CE
• For a total of 12 hours of CE prior to renewing your license in 2021.
• Were issued a new license between 11/1/2020 – 7/3/2021 – or –
• Were relicensed between 11/1/2020 – 7/3/2021
Then you need:
• 2 hours of CE that involves law, rules & court cases regarding real estate.
• 4 hours of other CE
• For a total of 6 hours of CE prior to renewing your license in 2021.
• If you hold an associate and/or individual broker license and you have held an active salesperson
license between 7/1/2018 - 10/31/2019 you are required to complete the entire 18 hours of CE.
• If you were relicensed and used any courses to fulfill the previous year’s CE requirements, those
courses cannot be used again for the 2021 renewal.
12 hours of legal CE required per licensing year.
12 additional hours of CE can be taken at any time during the 3-year licensing cycle.
At least 18 total hours of Continuing Education required to meet Michigan license renewal requirements.
Common CE Myths and Facts
Legal continuing education credits do not need to be taken each year
Two hours of real estate legal continuing education is required each year. You must have at least 18 credit hours in a 3 year licensing cycle. At least 2 hours per year must involve laws, rules, and court cases regarding real estate
Courses can be repeated in a licensing cycle
You can only take a course once during the licensing cycle and receive the credit for it
I am required to take SIX hours of CE every year
The requirement is TWO hours of legal CE each CYCLE year. Example 11/1/2019-10/31/2020.
Bonus Fact: 12 additional CE credits of any type can be taken at any time during the 3 year licensing cycle
I have not signed up yet with CE Marketplace, so my credits haven't been tracked.
Any CE Marketplace classes taken will be reported to your record within 10 business days.
All CE Classes I have taken will automatically show on my CE Marketplace profile
Class completion of CE Marketplace certified courses will be reported by the provider to your profile within 10 business days
CE MARKETPLACE REGISTRATION IS SIMPLE AND FREE!
1. Visit cemarketplace.net and click REGISTER at the top of the screen. Register with your 10 digit license number.
2. Once you see your name, click on SELECT. This will send a registration link to your email address.
3. To complete the registration process, click REGISTER NOW and create your username and password.
Ready to learn more?
Login or register at www.cemarketplace.net
Email email@example.com or Call 844-642-6633
Download the .pdf Bulletin Here